Wiki Indaba was a 3 day conference to be held in Johannesburg (South Africa). It was a gathering of African Wikimedians and other open knowledge volunteers who are aligned to our mission.
The establishment of Wikimedia regional co-operations in regions such as Latin America, India and Asia, has supported the progressive and systematic growth of awareness and coverage of Wikipedia in these regions. This conference is the first step towards the establishment of African co-operative structures and organs made up of Wikimedia Chapters, Wikimedians and mission aligned Thematic Organizations. This is the first regional conference to be held by and for African chapters in Africa, the region of the world with the lowest Wikipedia coverage.
Goals of the Conference
- We aim to turn ideas into action.
Focus of the conference
To help us organize sessions and accomplish our goals of developing a shared understanding and set of actions for improving wikimedia's foot print in Africa, we intend to focus this first conference on two aspects as follows:
- 1. Community Activation - through gender specific initiatives, GLAMs and Educational institutions.
- 2. Corporate Governance - Chapter formations, Accountability and access to funding.
- Note of Acceptance
- by 2 May 2014 Done
- Submission of Presentation Ideas
- 2 May 2014 - 9 May 2014 Done
- Official registration
- 2 May 2014 - 16 May 2014 Done
- Agenda finalised
- 23 May 2014 Done
- 20 - 22 June 2014
You can reach Theresa Hume via e-mail for general enquiries and questions concerning scholarships.