Home Attend Submission Register Schedule Travel Venue Social Events Participants Organising Team Endorsements
Submit your Presentation here
Wiki Indaba 2014 in Johannesburg will be the first in the series of annual continental conferences which provide a unique opportunity for the Wikimedia community and our projects to come together, share their common goals, and develop better ways to work together.
- 1 Submit your Presentation here
- 2 Important dates
- 3 Overview
- 4 Tracks
- 5 Presentation lengths
- 6 Submissions
- 7 Interested attendees
YOU CAN SUBMIT YOUR PROPOSALS NOW
- Call for proposals opens: 22 April 2014
- Deadline for submitting proposals: 15 May 2014
- Notification of acceptance: 30 May 2014
The tenth annual Wiki Indaba will be held 20th-22nd June 2014 in Johannesburg.
The Wiki Indaba 2014 programme structure is designed to create focused opportunities for conference participants to actively engage with each other about the Wikipedia and Open Movement activities they are part of on the continent. The Wiki Indaba goals are to:
- Establish a sustainable dialogue with collaborators in Wikimedia Chapters, the Wikimedia Foundation and the international communities to frame the issue of community activation and corporate governance in the context of Africa.
- Aim to build a shared understanding of what it means to be a volunteer in Africa and why it is important.
- Connect, multiply and create successful initiatives for increasing community activation and support within regions.
- Aim to turn ideas into action.
The main focus' of this inaugural conference is A Shared Vision that switches on communities and formulates a continent strategy that includes: 1. Community Activation - events, initiatives, GLAMs and educational activations, and 2. Corporate Governance - chapter formations, accountability and access to funding
In accordance with these goals and themes, the program will include paper presentations, panels, and a strategy session. Submissions will be reviewed and selected in advance by the programme committee. There are several topics in which we encourage delegates to participate. We will also consider other topics not mentioned below.
The presentations during Wiki Indaba 2014, will be divided into the following 'tracks'. Although they may evolve, they currently are:
Challenges and Successes in Africa
There's a lot happening in Africa that we just don't know about. Tell us what people are doing about Wikipedia in your country? What works? What doesn't? Which other open movement groups are active? What is the largest obstacle you face? Tell us all about it ...
- details, Challenges and Successes in Africa
Tech and Mobile
Wikimedia is not just open content, but open source. What does this mean for Africa? What is the landscape in your country? Has mobile changed access to Wikipedia?
- details, Tech and Mobile
Making the world's content free! What does this mean? Why is it important? What projects are people working on? Have you done something great with some free content? How is the Vision Project 2016 going to affect you?
- details, Global Wikimedia
Outreach and Activation
What do you need to make a Wiki project work? Marketing, Training? How do you make editors out of trainees? Just what are the legalities and licences when working on the world's knowledge?
- details, Outreach and Activation
Best Practices and Mass Participation
Have you worked with a GLAM to release some content or access their expertise? Should Wikimedia be used in Education? How do students become valuable members of the community? Wiki Loves Monuments shows how popular and effective one competition can be. What have you been working on that you want to share?
Ideas and Action
Local language Wikipedias - what is the future? Is there a space for their growth, and how will that happen? What are the merits of translation vs. original content?
- details, Local Language Wikipedias
To accommodate as many of presentations as possible, we strongly suggest that you limit your proposed session's length to be a maximum of 15 minutes, and include time for questions. You can request additional time, which may be granted if your proposal is particularly extensive. The programme committee may offer a shorter slot than you propose if time in the schedule is tight.
By submitting a proposal, you must agree that:
- your proposal's abstract and any slides associated with it will be released under the Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike Licence 3.0; and
- if accepted, the session will be broadcast and/or recorded and made available in audio and/or visual form under said licence.
If you object to these requirements (for instance, if you would prefer not to be filmed), please talk to a programme committee member before submitting a proposal.
Your proposal will be discussed and rated in public by the programme committee, and you will be notified through the contact information you supply of the committee's decision. If your submission is not added to the preliminary schedule, please do not be discouraged: Wiki Indaba 2014 will have time set aside in the schedule for participants and attendees to participate in unofficial, self-organised talks and working groups. You will have many opportunities to bring topics forward on-site, as well as socialising and sharing ideas casually.
Note: You need to login (or create an account here) in order to submit a proposal.
Submissions are required to follow the format below. Simply create a new page and follow the format. Remember to add your submission to one of our Categories. See example Main_Page/Submissions/My_Title. To add a category to your submission, use [[Category:Title_of_Category]] and place it at the bottom of your submission.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
- Author of the submission
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
- Length of session (specify how many minutes)
- 15 minutes
- Will you attend WikiIndaba if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- Add your username here.